Assistant Editor (September 2010 – present)
– Report and write stories on the transformation of the journalism industry.
– Follow developments in reporting technology, new business models, and new experiments in multimedia storytelling.
– Engage readers and sources through social media.
Contributing Editor for Arts & Culture (July 2010 – September 2010)
– Edited stories for The Signal, the culture section of the Observer.
– Recruited contributing writers and photographers for features coverage.
– Used social media feeds, such as Twitter and Facebook, to connect with readers and fans.
Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram, Portland, Maine
Reporter, Columnist/Blogger & Multimedia Producer (January 2003 – March 2010)
– Provided video, slideshows, podcasts and other live online coverage of the Inauguration of President Barack Obama.
– Covered Internet trends and consumer technology, including live reports from the South by Southwest Interactive Conference and Pop!Tech.
– Helped coordinate new media efforts including leading social media workshops, live-blogging and launching the @PressHerald Twitter feed.
Kennebec Journal/ Morning Sentinel, Augusta/Waterville, Maine
General Assignment Reporter (July 2002 – December 2002)
– Covered municipal elections and state legislative races.
– Wrote feature pieces on small business, education, and timbersports.
– Aggregated high school sports coverage for special sections.
Columbia Missourian, Columbia, Mo.
Criminal Justice Reporter (June 2001 – August 2001)
– Broke spot news ranging from car accidents, bank robberies, shootings and structure fires.
– Examined Columbia Police Department’s hiring and training process in enterprise stories.
– Covered police/community dealings by establishing a close working relationship with police department.
Investigative Reporters and Editors, Columbia, Mo.
Resource Center Researcher (June 2000 – July 2002)
– Logged print and broadcast investigative stories into research library.
– Assisted member journalists through collecting archived articles, instructional tipsheets, and background information.
– initial video stream project for IRE.org.
Skills & Experience:
Moveable Type, WordPress, SpeedWriter, Adobe InCopy, Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, Soundslides, Final Cut Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Audacity, HTML
Bachelor of Journalism, 2002 – University of Missouri-Columbia, School of Journalism
References available upon request